BAKED SALMON WITH GRILLED SUMMER SQUASH
Original Recipe Courtesy of The Galveston Diet and Dr. Marie Claire Haver
BOOK PAGE 193
Makes 4 servings
FOR THE SQUASH
Oil for brushing the grill
1 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE SALMON
Nonstick cooking spray
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 large salmon fillet (about 3 pounds)
Salt and black pepper
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, melted
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon honey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sprigs of fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Grill the squash: Preheat an outdoor grill to medium and lightly oil the grill.
2. Place the yellow squash and zucchini slices on separate squares of aluminum foil.
Pour the melted butter over the slices and sprinkle with the lemon zest and juice.
Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Fold up and wrap the squash in the
aluminum foil. Place the squash packets on the preheated grill and grill until tender,
about 30 minutes.
3. Bake the salmon: While the squash is grilling, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a
large-rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
4. Arrange the lemon slices in an even layer in the center of the baking sheet. Season
both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper, and place on top of the lemon slices.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, garlic, thyme, and oregano. Pour
this mixture over the salmon and fold the foil up and around it.
6. Bake the salmon until it is cooked through and flakes easily, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn
the oven on to broil, and broil the salmon for 2 minutes, or until the top is lightly
browned and the butter mixture around it has thickened.
7. Remove the squash packets from the grill. Transfer the salmon to a serving platter.
Garnish with the parsley sprigs and unwrap and serve the grilled squash alongside.